Breaking: #EndSARS protesters stole $2m, N17m from my palace – Oba of Lagos

Breaking: #EndSARS protesters stole $2m, N17m from my palace – Oba of Lagos

– Suspected #EndSARS protesters have been accused of stealing millions of Naira and dollars from Oba Akiolu’s palace

– The Lagos monarch made the allegation on Wednesday, March 3, during the commissioning of a project in the state

– Some suspected hoodlums had stormed the king’s palace, vandalised vehicles and carted away his staff of office

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, has spoken on the invasion of his palace by suspected hoodlums who hijacked the #EndSARS protest in Lagos in October 2020.

PM News reported that the monarch on Wednesday, March 3, claimed that the hoodlums whom he described as #EndSARS protesters stole $2 million and N17 million from his palace.

According to the newspaper, Oba Akiolu said this at the commissioning of the remodelled Glover Memorial Hall.

Oba of Lagos claims #EndSARS protesters stole $2m, N17m from his palace

Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, claims #EndSARS protesters stole $2m, N17m from his palace.
Photo credit: @thecableng
Source: Twitter

Legit.ng gathers that the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, was also present at the event.

Farm4Me wins West African Digital Agricultural Investment Platform Brand of the year award 2021

Sanwo-Olu said the completion and formal commissioning of the hall reflected his government’s determination to rebuild Lagos, revamp historic/public assets and also develop the entertainment, creative, and tourism sector.

He noted that the coronavirus pandemic and the mindless destruction which followed the EndSARS protests had a shattering impact on the economy of the state and the nation at large.

Legit.ng had earlier reported that the palace of the Oba of Lagos located at Iga Idugaran, Lagos Island, was attacked by hoodlums who vandalised vehicles and carted away several artefacts during the violence that trailed the #EndSARS protest.

The attackers seized the king’s staff of office commonly referred to as ‘Opa Ase’.

It was reported that the hoodlums who stormed the palace were the same ones who set the family home of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu ablaze.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Osinbajo calls for knowledge-based regulation of cryptocurrency not prohibition

After the eventual recovery of the staff of office, ritual rites were performed at Isale Eko to welcome the monarch and the symbol of authority back to his palace.

Many Nigerians condemned the sacrilege that was committed in the monarch’s palace by the hoodlums.

*******

Nurudeen Lawal is a Legit.ng journalist passionate about fact-checking/verification journalism. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Literature-in-English from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State. As Politics Editor, Nurudeen mostly writes on Nigeria’s political and socio-economic developments. He has attended different workshops, conferences and training on fact-checking and digital reporting, among others. Learn more about him on Twitter, @Nurudeen Lawal_

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *