– The government of Zamfara state has confirmed that some female students were abducted on Friday, February 26
– Abubakar Dauran, the state commissioner of security and home affairs, made this known in a chat with newsmen in Gusau.
– Dauran, however, noted that the security agents have been mobilised to trail the abductors
Hours after the abduction of female students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in Talata-Mafara local government area of Zamfara state, the government has finally reacted.
Daily Nigerian reports that the state commissioner of security and home affairs, Abubakar Dauran, confirmed the incident in a brief interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Gusau on Friday, February 26.
Legit.ng gathered that the commissioner said the abductors in their hundreds invaded the town and took away the students at about 2 am on Friday, February 26.
“I can confirm to you now that we have sadly received the report on the abduction of the students of GGSS Jangebe and right now, I am on my way to the school.
“At this moment, l cannot say how many students were taken away by the gunmen until I get there, but we have already mobilized security men and members of the vigilante who are now in pursuit of the abductors.”
According to the report, a staff of the school who spoke to NAN on condition of anonymity said the gunmen were shooting sporadically in the air to scare the residents before coming into the school.
The staff reportedly said:
“The gunmen in their hundreds invaded the town around 2 am on Friday, shot sporadically in the air to scare the residents before coming into the school.”
A resident of the area who gave his name as Haliru Jangebe was quoted to have said that the local vigilantes had tried to repel the invaders but were overpowered.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that suspected gunmen kidnapped some students of Government Girls Secondary School in Zamfara state.
It was reported that that the incident happened in the early hours of Friday, February 26.
According to the report, a resident of Kawaye village identified as Sadi Kawaye said that his daughters, Mansura and Sakina were among those abducted.
The state police public relations officer, SP Muhammad Shehu, said he could not react to the incident yet, adding that he needed time to verify it.
Wale Akinola is a passionate journalist and researcher. He works as a senior political/current affairs editor at Legit.ng. He holds both B.A and Master’s degree in Communications and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan. He also holds a Diploma Certificate in Peace Journalism. He has over 15 years of work experience in both print and online media. He derives joy in keeping the public abreast of current happenings locally and internationally through his writings.