– The Centre for African Liberation and Socio-Economic Rights has released a new report on the alleged killing of Igbo soldiers by the Nigerian army
– CALSER said the allegation that some soldiers were killed under the leadership of retired General Tukur Buratai is inaccurate
– The group called straict sanctions against the campaigners of such report
The Centre for African Liberation and Socio-Economic Rights (CALSER) has described the allegation that six Igbo soldiers were killed by the Nigerian army under the leadership of the past chief of army staff, Lieutenant Tukur Buratai as grossly inaccurate.
CALSER said its investigation has shown that there is no record of execution of Igbo soldiers or any personnel of the Nigerian army between 2015 and 2021 as claimed by the report.
A statement signed by CALSER’s president, Princess Ajibola, and seen by Legit.ng on Friday, February 5, said the allegations of ethnic cleansing in the army were not only false but an agenda by the Eastern Nigeria’s Rights and Intelligentsia Coalition to cast aspersion on the personality of Buratai.
Ajibola also said that the ENRIC also plans to spark an ethnic and religious conflict in the country using their baseless allegation against Buratai.
She said the finding of CALSER’s investigation established that the process of promotion and dismissal in the army is not the prerogative of the chief of army staff.
The group also called on the Nigerian army to begin the process of gathering and identifying individuals and groups that are out to undermine its integrity as an institution.
It also recommended that the authorities of the Nigerian army should seek legal redress against the ENRIC to serve as a deterrent to other individuals and groups attempting such mission.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian army had described the report that six Igbo soldiers were killed under the leadership of General Buratai as fake news.
The army said the report by News Express should be disregarded by the general public.
Also, a civil society group, Nigeria First has condemned the allegation levelled against General Buratai on the killing of six Igbo soldiers of the Nigerian army.
The group said some individuals are working with local and international organisations to launch a smear campaign against Buratai.