– The University of Maiduguri has stayed open despite being at the epicenter of the Boko Haram insurgency
– The university commonly known by its acronym UNIMAID, is the largest institute of higher learning in the northeast
– As terrorists frequently target the university, authorities in the school have reeled out safety precautions as students resume after the holiday
Authorities at the University of Maiduguri have released 10 safety precautions for returning students as high institutions all over Nigeria prepare for resumption.
Boko Haram terrorists randomly target the school, as the insurgents’ idealogy frowns at western education which UNIMAID represents.
Some students have shared the safety measures on Twitter.
The precautionary measures are:
1. Don’t enter Maiduguri after 3 pm
2. Don’t sleep at any place close to Maiduguri, especially areas like Jakana, Auno, Mainok, Beneshrik, and Ngmadu. It is advisable to just sleep in Damaturu and continue the journey the next day.
3. If the driver insists to continue the journey after 3 pm, just drop down in Damaturu.
4. To the females who wear trousers, it is advisable that you suspend them for the sake of the journey. Appear decent.
5. Be conscious of the driver and the person sitting beside you
6. Plying the road with military kits or ID is dangerous. Be advised not to embark on the journey with anything that may point out your identity.
7. Watch closely at the other lane of the road and if after five minutes of observation no vehicle is coming, ask the driver to park.
8. Be mindful of the way you respond to phone calls so you don’t give anybody a clue of who you are.
9. For security reasons, it is wise for students to travel separately instead of as a group
10. Lastly, make arrangements for your temporal accommodation, before the hostels will be opened
Recall that Legit.ng had reported how a toddler was hit by a stray bullet on Wednesday, January 6, when Boko Haram insurgents attacked Geidam town in Yobe state.
During the attack, the insurgents burned the residence of the former chairman of Geidam local government area, Mulima Mato during the attack, as well as some shops and carted away a large number of drugs at the General Hospital in the area.
Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, says the Nigerian army will shame and disgrace Boko Haram and the Islamic States for West African Province (ISWAP) terrorists in 2021.
Buratai gave the assurance at an event held in his hometown in Biu local government area of Borno state recently.
Bill to rehabilitate repentant Boko Haram members is wrong – Adesina Ogunlana | Legit TV