– Amid the fight against the second wave of coronavirus, the federal government has given a clarification on another lockdown in Nigeria
– The information minister, Lai Mohammed, promised Nigerians that the government doesn’t have plans to give such an order
– However, Mohammed urged Nigerians to adhere to all coronavirus protocols outlined by the COVID-19 Presidential Task Force
The federal government on Monday, January 4, assured Nigerians that there is no plan to impose a fresh lockdown on the country following the battle against the second wave of the pandemic.
In a report by Leadership, the government made the clarification through the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed.
Speaking further at a conference in Lagos state, Mohammed said the federal government did not at any point say it is going to have a second lockdown.
The minister also expressed the government’s disappointment with Nigerians for not obeying the COVID-19 protocols of wearing face masks, practising social distancing, and washing of hands.
Dousing the fears of Nigerians, Mohammed said that the government is very much aware of the economic and social implications of a second lockdown.
He, however, appealed to Nigerians to help themselves and the economy, by adhering strictly to all guidelines outlined by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.
This development is coming after the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 warned that another lockdown is likely in Nigeria with the rising cases of coronavirus in the country.
The PTF expressed concerns that Nigerians have continued to shun the prescribed protocols despite the second wave of the virus hitting hard.
National coordinator of the PTF, Dr. Sani Aliyu, said the only way to prevent a re-introduction of a lockdown is by adhering to the advisories by citizens.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that in what will be scary news to many Nigerians, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed another high number of cases of coronavirus across the country.
Specifically, the agency revealed 1,204 new cases were confirmed in the country, making it one of the highest recorded so far.
The NCDC confirmed the new cases across 20 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Monday, January 4.
COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | Legit TV