– Nyesom Wike has threatened another lockdown
– The Rivers state governor said people are treating the COVID-19 infection with kid gloves
– Wike said all the churches will be shut down if people failed to adhere to the necessary COVID-19 protocols
Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers, has revealed that he will impose a fresh lockdown on the state amid scare of the deadly coronavirus’s second wave.
The governor, who spoke on Sunday, December 27, in Ikwerre local government area, said the lockdown will be imposed in January 2021.
Wike attributed the proposed imposition of lockdown on Rivers to the lackadaisical attitude of the state’s resident to the precautionary measures against the COVID-19 infection,” Channels TV reports.
Rivers recorded eight new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday as the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced 838 new cases in 16 states.
This has brought the total number of infection in the southsouth state to 3,378 out of the overall record of 84,414.
Addressing the residents of the state, Wike, decried the refusal of churches and markets to enforce the compulsory wearing of face mask.
“They believe COVID is not real. It’s not real because it has not happened to you; nobody had died whom you know. When somebody has died and the person was close to you, you will know that COVID is real.
“If you don’t comply, I have no choice, but to shut down the churches; Pentecostal, Catholic, Anglican.”
Biglo dies f COVID-19
Popular veteran Nigerian rapper, Lotanna Udezue known by his stage name, Biglo, has given up the ghost.
According to numerous reports, the music star lost his life on December 26, 2020, after contracting COVID-19.
Before contracting COVID, the singer had been down with a kidney-related sickness and was being cared for in California, USA.
Meanwhile, the Lagos government has warned the residents of the state to take responsibility by following the necessary safety and precautionary protocols against the deadly coronavirus disease which is now on its second wave in the country.
In a tweet by the state government on Friday, December 25, it was emphasised that schools and public gathering are still banned until further notice.
The state urged residents to stay “indoor and stay safe” if it is not compulsory to leave home.
COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | Legit TV